BONTRAGER Specter WaveCel Road Helmet
|Options||S 51-57cm White PLEASE CONTACT FOR AVAILABILITY
M 54-60cm White PLEASE CONTACT FOR AVAILABILITY
L 58-63cm White PLEASE CONTACT FOR AVAILABILITY
A lightweight, breathable cycling helmet for all types of riding with the advanced protection of WaveCel technology.
Take your protection to the next level. Bontrager Specter WaveCel offers the best in versatility and comfort for everyday rides on roads, trails, gravel and more. From dirt to road, fast or slow, this new wave of protection delivers the confidence you need wherever you ride or race.
WaveCel is a collapsible cellular structure that lines the inside of the helmet. This Bontrager-exclusive technology disrupts the safety standards that the industry has accepted for over 30 years. It works like a crumple zone that absorbs the force of an impact before it reaches your head. It's up to 48 times more effective than standard foam helmets in preventing concussions caused by common cycling accidents.*
WaveCel is the result of a four-year partnership between Trek's Research and Design teams, orthopedic surgeon Dr. Steve Madey, and biomechanical engineer Dr. Michael Bottlang. Drs Madey and Bottlang have collaborated for the past 25 years and pioneered advances in fracture care, thoracic and pelvic trauma, and head injury prevention. They are funded by grants from the National Institute of Health to help prevent traumatic brain injuries amongst cyclists.
Unlike a standard foam helmet, which is designed to protect against direct impacts, WaveCel accounts for how most cycling accidents actually happen - ungracefully, with twists, turns, and angled impacts.
WaveCel absorbs energy in multiple ways. On impact, the layers of the WaveCel material move independently and flex until the cell walls crumple and then glide, actively absorbing direct and rotational energy and redirecting it away from your head.
This three-step change in material structure - flex, crumple, glide - is remarkably effective at dispersing the energy from an impact. Nearly 99 out of 100 times, WaveCel prevents concussions from common cycling accidents.*
All WaveCel helmets received the highest rating from Virginia Tech's third-party testing facility. This unbiased assessment proved Bontrager's WaveCel helmets to be among the highest level of protection available to cyclists with a 5-STAR rating.
WaveCel keeps you cooler. It minimises traditional heat-capturing EPS foam and sits perpendicular to the helmet, allowing for more airflow to your forehead and temples. These areas of your head are the most perceptive regions for cooling.
- WaveCel advanced helmet technology
- Boa closure system lets you easily secure and adjust helmet fit with one hand
- Fidlock magnetic buckle fastens effortlessly for a quick, secure fit
- The highly ventilated design offers more airflow to keep you cool
- Soft, comfortable, moisture-wicking and washable helmet pads
- Reflective elements on back of helmet enhance safety
- Crash Replacement Guarantee: provides a free helmet replacement if involved in a crash within the first year of ownership
- Weight: 322/341/380g (S/M/L)
* Results based on AIS 2 Injury (BriC) at 6.2 m/s test at 45 degrees comparing a standard EPS Helmet and the same helmet modified with WaveCel insert as described in detail in Evaluation of a Novel Bicycle Helmet Concept in Oblique Impact Testing. This study compares standard foam helmets and the same helmets with WaveCel inserts in a simulation of a typical bike crash.
As with any product, specification is subject to change without prior notification. You are advised to confirm current specification before buying.