MOON Meteor Storm Dual / Fog Front Light
The unique Dual is the newest addition to the brilliant Moon Meteor Storm range. Advanced dual colour beam technology makes this your ideal winter front light.
The standard natural white beam is complemented by a warm white beam that more easily cuts through fog, giving enhanced vision in all conditions.
- 2 Cree XM-L 2 LEDs provide up to 1300 lumen output
- 80 degree total beam angle, with 17 degree spot beam
- Double blast flash mode with an exceptional run time is especially suitable for standing out during the day
- Intelligent auto brightness adjustment
- User controllable Variable Lumen System (VLS): press and hold the VLS button to set your preferred brightness in any of the standard modes
- 7 modes (run times):
* Constant 1 - 1300 lumens (2 hours)
* Constant 2 - 800 lumens (3 hours)
* Constant 3 - 100 lumens (25 hours)
* Flash 1 - 100 lumens (125 hours)
* Flash 2 - 200 lumens (49 hour 30 minutes)
* Day Flash (Double Blast) - 400 lumens (50 hours)
* SOS (91 hours)
- Change mode by using the button on the light itself, in the usual way, or with the remote control switch (included). The remote control unit can be mounted on the handlebar so you can make changes without having to take your hand off the grip, useful when tackling tricky terrain. When the Meteor Storm Dual is used as a helmet light, the remote can be placed closer to hand on or around the helmet for more convenient switching.
- Advanced cooling system improves both the run time and brightness of the LEDs by up to 30%: the CNC aluminium body with heat sink, integrated air vent cooling system and copper coated circuit board all help to manage the temperature and aid performance.
- Overheating protection system protects the light and LED from burn out: if airflow is reduced and the temperature begins to rise the light will select a lower brightness level until the airflow and cooling improves.
- Memory mode function ensure that when you turn you light back on, it returns to the last selected mode
- Lock mode to prevent accidental switching on
- Matrix LED display gives clear read-out of charge level
- Quick release replaceable 4400 mAh Li-ion battery - take a spare battery for even longer run times
- USB rechargeable
- New USB-C cable for quicker charging included
- 2 1/2 hour recharge time
- Automatic fully charged cut-off system
- Water resistant (IPX 5)
- Quick release handlebar mount (22-35mm diameter bar compatible) included
- Quick release helmet mount included
- Weight: 200g
- Lumens and run times are tested under ANSI FL-1 standard
Moon Meteor Storm Dual review, road.cc, November 2019:
"The Meteor has two LEDs. One is a 'warm white' (3000K) on the Kelvin Scale of measuring colour temperature, which is basically quite yellowish, while the other is 'cool white' sitting at around 6500K. The former is for use in the fog and heavy rain to reduce glare, and it works very well indeed.
Riding on those foggy mornings, not having a wall of white light rebounding back at me made it much easier on the eyes, much less straining. Overall visibility in terms of distance isn't changed, but you can see a lot more of the road that is available. On wet roads the reduced dazzle from the surface is much appreciated too.
For dry roads, Moon recommends using the cool white LED on its own, and it is pretty much like every other white LED in the bike light market where the colour gives plenty of clarity for picking up the edges of potholes and the like when travelling at speed.
The beam pattern isn't road-specific, but it works well with quite a pronounced spot in the centre fading out to the sides which picks up the verges on either side of the road when out on the country lanes.
When conditions are changeable, or you just want more light than just the 800 lumen achievable by each LED individually, you can use both LEDs together.
This might sound like a lot of faffing, but swapping LEDs and modes is very simple - even on the fly. There are just two buttons on the Meteor Storm Dual, and pressing the one on the left, the VLS button, switches through the different LED setups.
... Overall, the Meteor Storm Dual is a very well thought out light, and the customisation of the outputs is a massive plus. For the money it is very easy to recommend.
- Yellow LED is great at reducing glare in fog and misty conditions
- Battery life
- Loads of customisation
- Bracket is quite bulky
Verdict: Well-designed and well-thought-out front light that works in loads of weather conditions
As with any product, specification is subject to change without prior notification. You are advised to confirm current specification before buying.